Speaker System Selection GuideDownload this page (pdf)
Use the following chart as a guide for product selection and follow these three simple steps:
- Calculate the room volume and find the highest row in the table column 'Room Volume up to' that is not smaller than your room volume.
- Measure the listening distance to the center of the listening area and find the highest row in the table column 'Listening Distance up to' that is not shorter than your listening distance.
- If there are two different rows selected in the previous two steps, select the models from the row that is lowest in the table, i.e. the larger system of the two.
Note: these recommendations are for the smallest system that can be expected to give a good theatrical experience. Larger systems offer more impact and headroom, so do not hesitate to select larger models in the range than those indicated. The main concern when up rating the system is to keep it in balance, so do not select a HT330A for the front wall and have 6020A's for sides and rears!
For more interactive infomation and pictures, move your cursor below over the info sign.
Volume up to
|Side and Rear
|55 (2,000)||2.0m (7)||1.5 (5)||6010A||6010A||5040A|
|70 (2,500)||3.0m (10)||2.2m (7.2)||AIW25
|85 (3,000)||3.7m (12)||2.8m (9.2)||HT206B, AIW25||HT206B, AIW25||5041A, HTS3B|
|115 (4,000)||4.9m (16)||3.5m (11.5)||HT208B, AIW26||HT206B, HT208B, AIW26, AIW25||HTS4B|
|140 (5,000)||5.5m (18)||4.5m (15)||HT210B||HT208B, HT210B, AIW26, 2x AIW25||2x HTS4B|
|175 (6,200)||6.5m (21)||5m (16.4)||HT312B, AOW312B||HT208B, HT210B, AIW26||2x HTS4B|
|250 (8,800)||7.6m (25)||6.2m (20.4)||HT315B, HT320BC||HT210B, 2x AIW26||HTS6|
|370 (13,000)||8.5m (28)||7m (23)||HT324A, HT324AC||HT312B, AOW312B, 3x AIW26||2x HTS6 *|
|500 (17,600)||10m (33)||8m (26.3)||HT330A||HT315B, 2x AOW312B, 4x AIW26||2x HTS6 *|
|850 (30,000)||15.5m (50)||11m (36)||1035B, 1036A||HT315B, 2x AOW312B, 4x AIW26||3x HTS6 *|
- (*) This assumes that the system is bass managed at 40 Hz. A higher crossover frequency may require more subwoofers.
Loudspeaker Selection Examples:
1. If the room is 5m (16½') wide, 9m (29½') long and 3m (10') high, then the room volume is 135m³ (4900ft³). This limits the loudspeaker selection to HT210B or larger. If the listening distance is then measured to be 5m (16' 5") then the selected front loudspeakers are confirmed as being HT210B or larger.
2. If the room is 6m (19½') wide, 14m (46') long and 2.5m (8') high, then the room volume is 210m³ (7200ft³). This limits the loudspeaker selection to HT315B or larger. If the listening distance is then measured to be 8m (26'3") then the selected front loudspeakers should then be HT324A or larger as the HT315B should only be used up to 7.6m (25').
If there are any doubts about product selection for a particular room then please contact GENELEC for advice. It is better to get the job right the first time so there are no problems after the room is finished as unnecessary fixes affect the reputation of the installer and GENELEC.